When we’re asked lay a veteran to rest at Sunset View Cemetery & Mortuary, we take that responsibility very seriously. We use this high honor to do everything possible to plan a worthy and memorable ceremony for those who served our country while securing the veterans benefits he or she deserves.
While we feel it’s critical for everyone in El Cerrito, Oakland, Berkeley, and Richmond to plan their own funeral, it’s especially important that veterans write down their final requests so they’re honored in the ways they wish. If your loved one was a veteran, we want you to know the special benefits they might qualify for.
Some of these benefits include:
- A United States flag to drape over the casket or urn. The flag is often given to the next of kin after the funeral.
- Every veteran is entitled to a standard government headstone. Upon request, at no cost to the surviving family member, the VA will furnish the headstone for the gravesite as long as the veteran was not dishonorably discharged.
- A military funeral ceremony that features the folding and presenting of the American flag by two uniformed military officers and the customary playing of Taps.
- The surviving family may request a special certificate from the President of the United States, known as the Presidential Memorial Certificate. This document further expresses recognition of the veteran’s dedication to his or her country.
- Many veterans are also eligible for special funeral and burial benefits due to their honorable service.
In addition to families asking about our veteran’s benefits, many also ask why we feel it’s so important to memorialize and honor them in a special way. The answer, for us, is simple: freedom. Our military men and women fight for the American people, on foreign and home soil. The things we know and love about America wouldn’t stand true today without them.
If your loved one was a veteran, we’ll make sure he or she receives the benefits they deserve for risking their lives for our freedom. Veterans, or America’s heroes as we like to call them, are the heartbeat of the nation, and laying them to rest is an honor we’re proud to hold. Here are a few other reasons why veterans should consider making their final wishes known with Sunset View.
Peace of Mind
No one likes to talk about death, especially their own. However, some say preplanning is one of the greatest gifts you can give to your family – and what comes with this gift is peace of mind. It’s peace of mind knowing your family can focus on grieving. It’s knowing you’ve made all the important decisions for them. Preplanning with us gives you and those who matter most a true sense of serenity.
Preplanning Saves Money
Even when you choose to preplan with us, you don’t have to pay immediately – we’ll simply file your wishes away. If you do decide to pay, your funds won’t be susceptible to inflation. No matter how much longer you live, inflation will not impact the cost if you pay ahead of time.
When you’re ready to honor your veteran loved one or put your own arrangements in writing, contact us. For those in Pinole, El Sobrante, Kensington, Piedmont, and Albany with veteran loved ones, reach out to learn how we can help create a memorable service. For more information on burial and memorial benefits from the VA, click here.